EATING FOR JOY AND KINDNESS TO YOUR BODY…wow that’s a thing?
When I hear that someone is trying out the latest and greatest fad I instantly feel sad because I know this person has super high hopes that this will be THE THING the thing that works for them and gives them all the happiness in the world, when in reality it is just going to be another form of restriction with a whole bunch of rules attached to it and will most likely be unsustainable and leave them eventually feeling like a failure and looking for the next big thing that will work for them
Believe it or not, a weight-loss/fat loss program that overly restricts calories or has a bunch of rules will set you up for failure, as will skipping meals. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories (or too few meals) leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.
Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your body. Bottom line diets don’t work or else diets, diet books and programs would not be a billion dollar industry and leave people feeling like they have failed. You have not failed, the system has failed you, left you confused and hating yourself…and taken your money which you work hard for.
Ever think that there could be a more pleasurable and successful way to approach food? There is and it’s simple: eat high-volume foods nourishing more often.
A consistent eating pattern will control your energy level, appetite, cravings, blood glucose and insulin levels. Plus–eating regular meals and snacks help you to tune in with your body, get you on a schedule and fuel your resting metabolism.
Be Aware of Your Personal Needs
Be aware of your personal needs. Your resting metabolic rate can be roughly estimated by multiplying your body weight (in pounds) by 10. This is the minimum number of calories that your body needs to survive and allow the body do use that energy to function. Consuming fewer calories than your resting metabolism is counteractive. Your total daily needs are your resting metabolic rate plus the calories burned in everyday living and in exercise.
- For example, a 170-pound woman’s resting metabolic rate is roughly 1700 calories. This is her minimum daily requirement if she’s sitting on the couch all day doing nothing. Factor in body movement from there and add in according to your goals such as building muscle. If this is something you want to track for 7-10 days to see where you are at that is great however I am not a proponent of tracking calories and my dislike for calorie trackers (that’s another discussion) long term but it can be good to see where you are at and learn from it. Most often I find that people do not eat enough food even though they think they do. What most people lack is fiber and nutrient dense foods.
- Do I eat more on my rest days? Sometimes yes sometimes no, do not overthink this too much because it will drive you crazy and it all evens out at the end of the week/month. Sometimes I personally do eat a bit more volume on rest days to help my body recover.
Breakfast Is a kick-starter
Its a good idea to start the day with a breakfast that includes a protein-rich food along with whole grains and veggies or fruit. Breakfast is literally breaking the fast and it kick-starts your metabolic engine and fires up your brain for the day…coffee helps too! Skipping breakfast is most likely going to lead you to an overeating situation at some point during the day as well as general fatigue and maybe some moodiness/hangry. Hungry+ angry= Hangry human
Even when mornings are a tornado of chaos choose one of these tasty, quick breakfast ideas.
- Tofu scramble or egg scramble on sprouted grain toast with tomato slices and avocado
- Plant based coconut yogurt with a scoop of protein mixed in, then add your own fruit ,nuts ,seeds ,granola etc.
- A Smoothie or smoothie bowl made with frozen bananas, berries, mango ,protein powder. Add on some nut butter or go crazy and blend in some spinach
- Hot oatmeal or quinoa with apples, cinnamon and pecans (make a large batch to reheat throughout the week or make single servings in mason jars)
A well-timed snack will prevent that late afternoon crash and overeating at meal time. Plan to snack. Keep healthy options accessible and easy to grab on those busy days.
- apple with almond butter
- Homemade granola or trail mix
- Raw veggies like celery, cauliflower, cucumbers with hummus
- Green smoothie with fruits, greens, protein powder. Make it big and full of nutrients!
- Homemade protein balls, bars etc
- Chia protein pudding
- Dates stuffed with walnuts
- Rice cakes with nut butter
- Vega protein bar
Eat More…yeah I said that…hell no to restricting that’s diety talk and that has no place in your life! I also do not worry about measuring or weighing foods, I have learned to use my own intuition around what my body needs. YOU KNOW YOUR BODY BETTER THAN ANYONE
Nourish your body with quality foods that you can eat more of such as foods that are high in volume and nutrient density. This will help to fill your stomach with the right foods so you can perform at life especially workout days where your body requires more fuel to build and repair broken down muscle tissue. Load half of your plate with colorful vegetables and fruits and one-quarter of your plate with whole grains, starchy veggies or legumes. The other quarter is for a portion of protein-rich foods. Use this concept to create balanced meals. For example:
- Home-made lentil soup or chili and toasted bread with avocado and tomatoes for lunch.
- sushi rolls with some vegetables and salad
- A big ass colorful salad loaded with beans and greens and grains for dinner
- Black bean burgers with grilled vegetables and slaw
Calorie restriction and skipping meals may seem like the clear path to happiness with your body, and you may lose weight using these strategies initially but this kind of restriction and food rules leads to an eventual binge cycle followed by shame, regret basically hands up in the air F this I suck….you don’t suck diet culture sucks. More importantly , you will lose valuable muscle mass and muscles help shape our body, keep our bones and ligaments strong, keep our metabolism from crashing, build confidence in our bodies and so much more! Fuel your metabolism and nourish your body with high-quality, nutrient-dense foods to stop battling your body so you can live, thrive and enjoy your life happily forever.
If you want to learn more about how I can help you with this kind of thing reach out to me and check out my health coaching program where I can help you start making some habit changes and get you going in the direction of body kindness