As we all embrace the Holiday season there are many ways we can make our treats a bit healthier!
Check out the substituting chart to see what kind of ingredients you can swap out to make soups, cookies, and breads nutritious and delicious for everyone!
Below is a Berry Christmas treat that has some simple swaps for a moist and oh so yummy coffee cake!
|If your recipe calls for this ingredient:||Try substituting this ingredient:|
|Bacon||Canadian bacon, turkey bacon, smoked turkey or lean prosciutto (Italian ham) ,vegan bacon|
|Bread, white||Whole-grain bread ,sprouted grain bread such as ezekial brand|
|Bread crumbs, dry||Quick oats or crushed bran cereal or make your own with day old bread|
|Butter, margarine, shortening or oil in baked goods||Applesauce or prune puree for half of the called-for butter, shortening or oil; butter spreads or shortenings specially formulated for baking that don’t have trans fats ,coconut oil, chia seeds,flax|
Note: To avoid dense, soggy or flat baked goods, don’t substitute oil for butter or shortening. Also don’t substitute diet, whipped or tub-style margarine for regular margarine.Butter, margarine, shortening or oil to prevent stickingCooking spray or nonstick pansCreamCoconut milkCream cheese, full fatlow-fat cream cheese, Neufchatel, or low-fat cottage cheese pureed until smoothEggsTwo egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute for each whole egg , chia seeds, bananaFlour, all-purpose (plain) Unbleached Whole-wheat flour for half of the called-for all-purpose flour in baked goods
Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is less dense and works well in softer products like cakes and muffins.Fruit canned in heavy syrupFresh fruit is always bestGround beefExtra-lean or lean ground beef, chicken or turkey breast (make sure no poultry skin has been added to the product) tempeh, ground walnutsLettuce, icebergArugula, chicory, collard greens, dandelion greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach or watercressMayonnaiseReduced-calorie mayonnaise-type salad dressing or reduced-calorie, reduced-fat mayonnaiseMeat as the main ingredientThree times as many vegetables as the meat on pizzas or in casseroles, soups and stewsMilk, evaporatedEvaporated skim milkMilk, wholeCoconut milkOil-based marinadesWine, balsamic vinegar, fruit juice or fat-free brothPasta, enriched (white)Whole-wheat pasta, brown rice pasta ,sprouted grain pastaRice, whiteBrown rice, wild rice, bulgur or pearl barley ,quinoaSalad dressingBalsamic vinegar, make your own salad dressings. Store bought are over priced and full of so much oil and saltSeasoning salt, such as garlic salt, celery salt or onion saltGarlic powder, onion powder, any of the Ms Dash salt free seasonings, cumin, cayenne, herbsSoups, creamedpureed carrots, potatoes or tofu ,arrow root powder, coconut milk for thickening agentsSour cream, full fatlow-fat yogurt ,organic light sour creamSoy sauceBraggs liquid aminos , hot mustard sauce or low-sodium soy sauce, tamariSugarIn most baked goods you can reduce the amount of sugar by one-half; intensify sweetness by adding vanilla, nutmeg or cinnamon or use coconut sugar, honey, or agave nectarSyrupPureed fruit, such as applesauce, or low-calorie, sugar-free syrup , honey, agave nectarYogurt, fruit-flavoredPlain yogurt with fresh fruit slices
HOLIDAY MIXED BERRY COFFEE CAKE
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
A fresh blend of berries and soft, sweet cake make this coffee cake a winner!
- 1 C. Blueberries
- 1 C. Strawberries, Diced
- ¼ C. Sugar
- ¼ C. Water
- 2 Tbsp. (Organic) Corn Starch
- ¼ tsp. Lemon Zest
- ½ T. Apple Cider Vinegar + Non-Dairy Milk equaling a ½ C.
- 1 T. Ground Flaxseed
- 3 T. Hot Water
- 1½ C. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ C. Vegan Butter or Margarine (Cold)
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ¼ C. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ C. Sugar
- 2 T. Vegan Butter or Margarine (Cold)
- In a medium-sized saute pan, heat the blueberries, strawberries and sugar over medium heat, along with half of the water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to low-medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the cornstarch and remaining water together, in a small cup, to dissolve the corn starch.
- Once the fruit has broken down a bit, add the cornstarch liquid to the pan and stir. Add the lemon zest, continue to stir until the starch has become clear and the fruit mixture has thickened a little. You want it to be thinner than jelly, but not runny.
- Take it off the heat and set aside.
Cake and assembly
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and get an 8″x8″ baking dish out. You do not need to oil it.
- Pour 1½ tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar into a 1 C. measuring cup. Then, fill it up to ½ C. with Non-dairy milk, this is your buttermilk substitute.
- Make the flax egg by whisking together the hot water and ground flaxseed in a small bowl/cup and setting it aside to become gelatinous.
- Next, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together, in a large bowl.
- Cut the vegan butter into to the flour mixture, using two butter knifes or a pastry blender, until it becomes crumbly.
- Stir the flax egg, “butter milk”, and vanilla together, then add it to the flour mixture, stir together until there is no loose flour, but do not over mix the dough, it will still be slightly chunky.
- Divide the dough in half, spreading one half to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Carefully place the berry filling on top of the dough, using spoonfuls at a time; then spreading it out evenly.
- Use a spoon to place the other half of the dough on top of the berry filling, do not attempt to spread evenly or you will mix it in with the berries. Just place the spoonfuls of dough in one layer over the filling.
10. For the cake topping, whisk together the flour and sugar in a small bowl, then cut the vegan butter into it until it is crumbly. Sprinkle this over the top of the coffee cake.
11. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is a light-medium golden brown. Wait at least 30 minutes for it to cool, as it is best the closer it is to room temperature.