Sweet potatoes are a fall favorite but they do not do your waistline any favors when they are covered in butter/sugar/salt/marshmallows, try embracing the sweet potato and all of its health benefits by trying this sweet potato burger recipe. I have made these delicious burger patties many times and they are easy and fun! You can put them on a grilled whole grain bun or wrap or you can go green and wrap in a lettuce leaf or red cabbage leaf and enjoy like a taco! You can make several ahead of time for quick lunches or dinners for the week!
Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
makes 7-8 large patties recipe courtesy of www.lunchboxbunch.com
2 cans cannellini white beans, drained
1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
2 Tbsp tahini
2 tsp maple or agave syrup
1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning OR Cajun seasoning (or another fave spice!)
1/4 cup wheat flour
optional: additional seasoning (whatever you have on hand – I used a few dashes cayenne, black pepper and a scoop of nutritional yeast)
salt to taste if needed
Panko breadcrumbs crumbs
oil for pan (try safflower ,coconut or olive oil)
burgers: avocado, Dijon mustard, whole grain buns, romaine, onion, olive oil, pepper
1. Bake sweet potato. Peel, place in large mixing bowl.
2. Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together.
3. Mash in seasoning, flour and any additional seasoning. Your mixture will be quite soft and moist. But you should be able to form a patty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs – or dry rice to thicken the mixture if needed.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp safflower oil in a pan over high heat.
5. Form a patty from mixture and coat in Panko crumbs. Thick coating. Then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on both sides. You could also bake. If baking, use less Panko.
6. Transfer cooked patties to paper towel. Cool for a few minutes.
7. Serve on toasted bun with lots of toppings like raw or grilled onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, pickles, avocado, carrot slices, Dijon mustard, spinach leaves. The list goes on! Try it today and let me know how you like these!
Note: yes this patty does fall kind of apart as you eat it. But that is OK because it tastes yummy